Updated: Apr 11
One of the most common misconceptions within the beard community is that beard balm and beard oil are the same; they are not. They serve two completely different functions. They are excellent products, and some men use both; however, beard balm is not a necessity because it’s mainly for styling. Nevertheless, it does have its benefits. If you want to know exactly what beard balm does, keep reading.
What is Beard Balm?
Beard balm is a putty-like, dense substance that is rubbed into the beard and skin to make it feel and look better. It contains several nourishing ingredients such as avocado butter, jojoba oil, and vitamin E oil which contribute to taming and maintaining your hair. The benefits you get from beard balm will depend on the brand purchased; nevertheless, it is designed to promote a healthier, glossier beard that you can be proud of.
What Does Beard Balm Do?
Beard balm is extremely beneficial for beard hair; here are six things you can expect from using beard balm:
1. It Makes Styling Easier: Do you have a stubborn non-conformist beard? Due to the beeswax-like texture of beard balm, you can mould your hair in the direction you desire, and it will stay like that for the whole day.
2. It Protects Your Beard: Hot and cold weather and strong winds can cause protein loss and damage the fibres of the hair. But beard balm adds a protective layer that strengthens the skin and prevents the hair from being affected by extreme weather.
3. It Provides Volume: A lot of beard balms contain a powerful anti-oxidant called neroli which helps revitalise and boost lustreless hair. If you’re struggling to grow your locks and achieve the fullness you desire, a good balm will help.
4. Helps With the Growth Process: Beard balm works in a similar way to a conditioner in that it loosens up the hair fibre, making it feel and look soft. Beard balm will give your hair an undeniable shine and gloss. Additionally, it preserves the strength and protein structure of your tresses. When your beard and skin are in good condition, the faster you can expect your beard to grow
5. Prevents Dandruff and Itching: Using beard balm adds moisture to the hair and provides a protective layer to repel the elements that cause dandruff and itching. Basically, the healthier your beard is, the less you’ll experience such problems.
6. It Smells Nice: If you want to add a bit of fragrance to your beard, beard balm will have it smelling just as good as it looks. Beard balms contain a variety of scents, such as a woody, spicy, or citrusy aroma. These are all very masculine smells that willenhance your image and boost your confidence.
Now that you know what beard balm does, you can decide whether you want to use it or not. If you feel it will add to your grooming routine, then go ahead. Just make sure to purchase one containing ingredients such as neroli, shea butter, almond oil, and avocado oil for the best results.